Search This Blog

Monday, May 29, 2006

The Pity of the "United" Methodists

AP writer Richard Ostling has written an article entitled: Was Bush's response to Sept. 11 attacks un-Christian?

His major prop is Jim Winkler who he identifies as “the Methodists' chief social-issues spokesman.”
“Winkler, believes Congress should "impeach President Bush." He proposed that during the annual "Ecumenical Advocacy Days for Global Peace With Justice," attended by 923 progressives, mostly from the National Council of Churches and member denominations (e.g., the United Methodists, Christian Church-Disciples of Christ, Episcopal Church, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Presbyterian Church USA and United Church of Christ).”

“Winkler's complaint: "The attack on Iraq was sold to our people on lies, and the war itself was an illegal war of aggression" that included things such as "unconstitutional" National Security Agency surveillance."There was nothing Christian in (Bush's) response to Sept. 11," Winkler asserted. "The war on terror is a war of terror. We have to stop it."

Winkler, who wants the U.S. defense budget slashed by 80 percent, could be considered a semipacifist. He said "Jesus Christ, if not a pacifist Himself," at least "chose a nonviolent course of action." He also cited Paul: "Do not repay anyone evil for evil. ... So far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves" (Romans 12:17-19).

That reflects the Methodists' official Social Principles: "We believe war is incompatible with the teachings and example of Christ" and reject it "as an instrument of national foreign policy."

I am constantly amazed by the fact that as I sit in my Methodist Church pew, that the Jim Winklers of this world are never found in my Methodist congregation. Where do these people come from and how do they get where they are? What is it about a religious bureaucracy that attracts the Jim Winklers and what does it say about a church leadership that these people are appointed as spokesmen?

What has kept me in the Methodist pews are the people sitting next to me. What is making my place in the pews problematical is that I find myself angry with a denomination to which I provide financial support.

Abraham Lincoln famously borrowed a biblical phrase when he said that “A house divided against itself cannot stand.” This is the situation that not just the Methodists but many mainline denominations find themselves in. And when the people in the pews find out what the people in the hierarchy are really saying, there may be many more rifts in the fabric of the church.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I am constantly amazed by the fact that as I sit in my Methodist Church pew, that the Jim Winklers of this world are never found in my Methodist congregation. Where do these people come from and how do they get where they are? What is it about a religious bureaucracy that attracts the Jim Winklers and what does it say about a church leadership that these people are appointed as spokesmen?"

As a Presbyterian I rhetorically ask the same question. But the even more important rhetorical question is: "What does it say about the pew sitters in the mainline churches who wittingly or unwittingly drop their tithes and offerings into the collection plate knowing full well that a portion of those tithes and offerings are being sent up the ladder to pay the salaries of Jim Winkler and others like him.

The pew sitters like to complain, but no one is listening to their complaints because they are complicit in the actions of their leadership.

Moneyrunner said...

Larry,

I agree with you to this extent, most pew sitters are not there to pick a political fight. They are there to honor God and to reinforce their faith.

I have complained to my pastors and have directed that none of my offerings are to be used to pay for any puirpose other than local activities.

But... money is fungible... so you are right.

Anonymous said...

I also completely agree with Larry, but I just might take my believe a step further. If I find my methodist minister an out of the closet liberal, I will take my tidings to another Methodist Church, or to a great Presbyterian church. Sometimes you just have to speak with your wallet

jim

Anonymous said...

Money has become the "playing field leveler". In the mainline churches the top leaders and the regional leaders need to get the message that unless they immediately clean up their act, church members will start challenging their local church leadership over the money being sent to the denomination.

My Presbyterian Church USA church stopped sending money to the denomination 4 years ago. Prior to the curtailment we were sending over $60,000 per year from a 600 member church.

For the last 4 years the members in our church have been able to say that it wasn't their money that financed the trips by PCUSA leaders to visit the Hezbollah terrorists.

Unfortunately, not enough of the 11,000 PCUSA churches have the backbone to take such a stand. Until the mainline church members start voting with their pocketbook, we will continue to have the Winkler's and those like him embarrass our respective denominations.