Search This Blog

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Virginian Pilot Outrage of the Day

As is common in most of the MSM, the Virginian Pilot’s “letters to the editor” are a close reflection of its editorial position. The few exceptions, as they say “prove the rule.” That is why – as an example - in a community surrounded by military personnel, the letters to the editor are overwhelmingly against the Iraq war even though the military – and especially the military families involved in the fighting – are the strongest supporters of the war.

My friend, Ted Galanides, recently had a rare letter printed that was critical of the Norfolk Forum for inviting so many Liberals speakers. In particular he referred to a recent speech by Bill Moyers, the very controversial host of a Leftist TV program on PBS. He was so disgusted by Moyers that he walked out.

In response the Pilot has taken the not-unusual position of printing several letters criticizing Ted and defending the Norfolk Forum and Bill Moyers. The latest, a letter by Norfolk Forum Board member Charles McPhillips characterized the Moyers rant this way: “with the notable exception of Mr. Galanides the large audience for Mr. Moyers remained at Chrysler Hall in rapt attention until the end of his eloquent address, after which he received a rare standing ovation.”

"Rapt attention?" "Eloquent address?" Not the Bill Moyers I know and loathe. The one who instructed the FBI to find homosexuals in Barry Goldwater's campaign and the author of the infamous "Daisy and Atomic Explosion" ad that the Johnson campaign ran against Goldwater.

Moyers' who said this: During coverage of the 2004 presidential election,
Moyers stated, "I think that if Kerry were to win this in a tight race, I think that there would be an effort to mount a coup, quite frankly. I mean that the right-wing is not going to accept it."[9]

That “rare” standing ovation is one of those phenomena that I have experienced myself. All it takes to start one is to get to your feet, urge your friends to do the same and in a few seconds people around you are psychologically bullied into standing up so as not to appear sullen.

I differ with Ted in one respect. Had I seen Moyers on the program, I would not have walked out; I would not have gone to the Forum in the first place. I have better ways of abusing myself for a few hours, and I can do it in the comfort of my own home.

No comments: