Search This Blog

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Per capita, a person was at least nine times more likely to be murdered in Chihuahua last year than in Afghanistan.

According to the reported numbers, the drug-related murder rate was about 67 for every 100,000 inhabitants in Chihuahua last year, while in Afghanistan the civilian killing rate was an estimated seven for every 100,000 people living there.
There were more drug-related killings in Chihuahua than in any other Mexican state, according to the government figures. Chihuahua, the largest state in Mexico, includes Ciudad Juarez, a border city located across from El Paso, Texas. It is the deadliest city in Mexico and is considered one of the most dangerous places in the world.
I visited Juarez once.  It must have been over 40 years ago. Two things I remember from that visit: (1)I don't like chicken mole, and (2) we were approached by an elderly man in a military uniform when we parked our car who asked for a little money to watch it and make sure nothing happened to it. We paid.

1 comment:

seo los angeles said...

Wow, I didn't realize that a)Chihuahua was the largest state in Mexico, and I definitely didn't know it had such a high murder rate!! That is definitely one place I will NOT be visiting. I'm from San Diego and I thought Tijuana was bad... it sounds like Disneyland compared to Chihuahua!