Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Representative Full Stop

I call her Donkey Chompers.

I have decided that henceforth and for the foreseeable future, the woman who calls herself Ocasio-Cortez and who is more descriptively titled Occasional Cortex shall be known as Representative Full Stop.

The name has its origin here: "My last name is Ocasio-Cortez. Full stop. That’s my name."

I'll first confess why this nonsense irritated me: When she says things like "No, you can’t say 'Cortez.' I’ve never used that in my life. 'Cortez' is referring to someone else. Even if they‘re trying to be rude + wrong, my dad’s last name was Ocasio anyway. (His name was hyphenated too, though.)" She's assuming that we give a good g*dd*mn what her dad's name was.

Most of us are aware that Spaniards have their mother's surname last. It's a cute habit that has bitten me in the butt because the Portuguese don't do that. And yet, proto-politically-correct people in Ohio in 1981 assumed so and assume they were gratifying me by handing me a diploma that has Silva as my surname. Look, Representative Full Stop, we don't care. You're an American, born in America. You have the arrant presumption of thinking you can serve as a representative for Americans, but you wish to hold onto to this nonsense that your surname is not your surname because it wasn't your dad's name? Pick a surname, your mother's or your fathers, and make it your surname. We don't care which. Resolve it between the two still-functioning brain cells in your otherwise empty head.
Read the whole thing.

No comments: