Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

It’s no surprise to learn that FBI agents knew about the anti-Trump coup and stayed silent

 Did I call it or what? I said all along that the rank and file FBI agents would not speak up. The pressures of maintaining a middle-class lifestyle, especially when living in an expensive area like D.C. and the surrounding suburbs, would outweigh any moral considerations.

Let me say again that, much as I feel disdain for the choices these employees made, I’m not sure that I would have had the moral fiber to do better. I’d certainly like to think that, if I saw the Federal Bureau of Investigation plotting a coup against a duly elected president, I’d speak up, but I don’t know. I can imagine myself thinking, “I’ve got a Mortgage, college funds, insurance payments, car payments, a house in a good neighborhood with good schools,” and a whole laundry list of other things (and people) dependent on my salary and, even more importantly, my benefits. I can then imagine telling myself that the FBI management must know what it’s doing, that everything will work out or, maybe, that I should have the taxpayers buy me insurance to protect all my middle-class concerns. 

Middle-class fragility is real. This isn’t like that stupid “white privilege, white fragility” garbage that Critical Race Theory spouts. CRT holds that whites will viciously protect their turf to make sure that all the various non-white groups don’t take from them. Nonsense. Middle-class people aren’t driven by race fear. They’re driven by mortgage payments fear. And these FBI agents were willing to go along with trying to overthrow an elected president to keep paying those mortgages.

Shame on them! And, God willing, if I ever face that kind of moral dilemma, I hope I make better choices.

No comments: