Search This Blog

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Modern art was CIA 'weapon'

Literally every conspiracy theory is turning out to be true.

 For decades in art circles it was either a rumour or a joke, but now it is confirmed as a fact. The Central Intelligence Agency used American modern art - including the works of such artists as Jackson Pollock, Robert Motherwell, Willem de Kooning and Mark Rothko - as a weapon in the Cold War. In the manner of a Renaissance prince - except that it acted secretly - the CIA fostered and promoted American Abstract Expressionist painting around the world for more than 20 years.

For my entire life I thought modern art was the unwitting beneficiary of rich people with no taste.  Now I find that I've been funding it with my tax dollars.

1 comment:

Paul said...

One of the better commentaries on "modern art"
https://youtu.be/ANA8SI_KvqI