Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

JIM WEBB ON guns in D.C.

Via Instapundit:

Jim Webb defends his carrying a gun where none are permitted - by law - (Washington DC) by stating that:
"I believe that it's important — it's important for me, personally, and for a lot of people in the situation that I'm in, to be able to defend myself and my family," Webb said. "Since 9/11 for people who are in government I think in general there has been an agreement that it's a more dangerous time. Again, I'm not going to comment, again, with great specificity about how I defend myself, but I do feel that I have that right."


Reader Christopher Fox emails: "Well, Senator, that might be your perception, but as far as I can tell, domestically speaking, we've lost around 3,000 civilians and 0 Senators to the post-9/11 dangers of which you speak. It's a more dangerous time for all of us, and civilians seem to be shouldering the majority of that risk. So maybe we can, I don't know, all get to carry unregistered firearms around wherever we like? No? Why not?"


WE HAVE LOST ABOUT 3000 CIVILIANS AND ZERO SENATORS ON 9/11. WHY SHOULD YOUR LIFE BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT OF THE OTHER CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTRY.

EITHER OBEY THE LAW ... OR CHANGE IT. YOU ARE NOT ABOVE IT!

2 comments:

Catzmaw said...

For a guy who professes a love of the truth you seem a little careless of accuracy.

Webb never said he carries in DC (where it would be illegal unless he's in his offices); rather, he said (although you didn't bother to quote him) that he has a permit and feels he has the right to defend himself. He has complied with all Virginia laws pertaining to the right to carry firearms. The gun was not registered in DC because he does not live there and he does not bring the weapon there. As far as civilians carrying weapons goes, in Virginia if they're old enough, lack felony records, and aren't certified mental patients they have the right to a concealed carry permit. And they don't have to register their firearms. But you already knew that, so I'm wondering what your point is.

Did I answer Christopher's question?

Moneyrunner said...

Webb never said he carries in DC.

Very true. In fact right now he’s not saying much of anything except that he’s a very important person who has to protect himself. Meanwhile his aide spent the night in jail while Jim looks tanned and rested.

But riddle me this: Reagan National Airport is in Washington DC., Dulles is in Virginia. How does the Senator get from his offices in the Capital to either Reagan National or Dulles with a loaded gun in his car without breaking the DC law? That’s a rather neat trick that I have not figured out yet.

Help me out here.