Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Election 2008: Objective journalism the loser

Michael Graham:
Did you see that amazing video obtained by the Los Angeles Times of Sen. Barack Obama toasting a prominent former PLO member at an Arab American Action Network meeting in 2003? The video in which Obama gives Yasser Arafat’s frontman a warm embrace, as Bill Ayers look on?

You haven’t seen it? Me, neither. The Los Angeles Times refuses to release it.

And so an incriminating video of Obama literally “palling around” with PLO supporters becomes one more nail in the coffin of “objective journalism.”


Alas, the obit for objective reporting has been buried - along with the stories about Obama’s 2001 support for court-imposed “redistribution of wealth” and Joe Biden’s latest gaffe.

For the record (that’s J-school talk for “I actually know what I’m talking about for a change”), I am not a journalist. I’m an opinion writer and talk show host. But I admire reporters tremendously. I married one. My oldest son is named for the great H. L. Mencken.

So it is particularly heartbreaking for me to see the death of objective journalism. And believe me - it is stone cold dead. Sacrificed on the altar of service to Barack Obama.


Read the rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see the delusion and obscene pretense of "objective journalism" go away, because there never was such a thing, and the arrogant posturing of those J-school graduates who believed in their elevated positions was one of the worst features of 20th century reporting. Even the beloved H.L. wrote of his own reporting shennanigans (writing fake police reports in a bar), and I think he would have gaffawed long and often at what modern journalism has become.

I like biased reporting, I like a point of view, and while there's always a need for fairness and accuracy there is never a call for the false idol of "objectivity".