Search This Blog

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Things my sister sent me. Caroline Kennedy.

My sister is a shrewd observer of politics and is on the city council in her community. She sent me this e-mail:


I saw a small clip of an interview with Caroline Kennedy this morning.



I was amazed at the interviewer. He asked really tough questions like, how would your mother and brother feel about your taking on this seat.



There was no Charlie Gibson/Sarah Palin moment that I noticed. Different strokes for different folks I guess.



I wonder if it’s only the Cuomo’s that are really ticked off about this.


I did not see the interview so I Googled it. All I got back was a summary of some of her responses to an AP interview which did not include any of the actual questions.

From the AP: Excerpts from interview with Caroline Kennedy on Friday:

[paraphrase of the question] Why she wants to be a senator:



"When I think back, there's really been two sort of major moments that have kind of changed the direction of my life ... The first was 9/11. ... After that, we all felt part of this incredible sense of community and being in this together. ... Then last year when I got involved with the Barack Obama campaign, I ... got this real sense that people want something different, and obviously change, in our government and the way things are going in this country."


[paraphrase of the question]Criticism she hasn't done anything to earn the job:


"There are many qualified people in this. And so, I am an unconventional choice. I understand that. I haven't pursued the traditional path. But I think that in our public life today, we're starting to see there are many ways into public life and public service. All of our institutions are less hierarchical than they used to be."
Do you notice a pattern here?

Then the "tough" NY press corps provided 30 minutes to have Caroline strut her stuff. You can watch and hear the interview HERE.

I was most interested in the questions because the answers were predictable. Here is a synopsis:


The interviewer asked her: "...what would be your top priority? "

Caroline professed to have education as a top priority. Her answer was much longer than this but it was no more specific than her final comment:


"We need to do a better job with our schools."


To folks who may say that she’s not qualified she responded that Uncle Teddy is in the Senate. It’s not about her. She brings a lifetime of experience to public service, she’s a lawyer, she has connections in Washington.

Interviewer harped on the fact that there were no pre-existing conditions to her interview. Are pre-conditions usual in these interviews? Who knew?

Interviewer asks her if she’s going to visit all 62 New York counties and she answers that she will.

Interviewer asked about Ted Kennedy’s health. This gave her a chance to brag on “Uncle Teddy.”

Interviewer asked if the Kennedy mantle has been passed to Caroline Kennedy.

Interviewer asked the ages of her kids.

Interviewer asked about her desire for higher office beyond senate. A national ticket?

Interviewer made a major point of the fact that there were no pre-existing conditions to her interview.

Interviewer asked about the frequency of her talks with Governor Patterson.

Interviewer asked about the importance of her last name of Kennedy.

Interviewer asked if there had been tough moments for Caroline over the years.

Interviewer harped on the fact that there were no pre-existing conditions to her interview. Repeated this at least 3 times.

That's it. No questions about the solution to the financial crisis, energy policy, environmental policy, race relations, war, foreign policy, or any of the problems facing America - and the Senate - in 2009.

There was not one question about the biggest problem facing New York: the massive layoffs in the financial services sector that will decimate NY's finances in the coming years.

It was surreal, the anointing of a socialite and dilettante to one of the most important posts in government. And the questions are about her name and fame.

1 comment:

Rickahyatt said...

OBAMA GOES TO SEMPER FIT PE TRAINING!
Wow! That's the very same Marine base I was brought to, to have plastique micropellet-embedded silicone gel implanted in my belly, chin & other places to make me a "Double-blind Manchurian Candidate Study Case" (On then futuristic "Human bombs") as an Army enlisted man!
The cover was an otherwise totally unneeded tongue surgery in a Kailua Hospital, but I guess they did it at KMAFB, instead, too. My stomach was so big when I got back to Maui, my wife had to buy a whole new set of shirts for me. (My cover) The Kaanapali Taxi workers joked how I'd had a "Reverse Liposuction."
What's even more interesting is in that I was made to live in Kailua in the heyday of "Bishop, Rewald, Dillingham & Wong," right across from First Hawaiian Bank where I was working. And I'm wondering if Obama is staying at the very same place in Kailua where "Sen. Bensen," CIA Dir. Ops George Bush, and his aide of the time, "Office of Economic Opportunity" Dick Cheney & I created (Unspeakable) disinformation material, or what.
Obama is SO damned "Perfect," I'm beginning to think HE'S a CIA Plant, too, like the last 30 years of the Presidency!
There IS some Indonesian connection I just can't put my finger on, just yet...