Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Gay Hobbits? by Mark Rahner

The Seattle Times writer Mark Rahner interviews an NPR “personality” John Moe who tries enter the strange, alien world of Conservatives, much as the National Geographic reporters of the 1940s tried to understand the bushmen of the Serengeti.

One of the things he found is that this strange and exotic group of primitives likes certain movies, including “The Lord of the Rings.” Our reporter opined that he found this strange in view of the fact – as he saw it – that “The Lord of the Rings” was filled with “gay hobbits.”

I asked Mr. Rahner about his interpretation of the film and his view that the Hobbits in it were gay. He responded this way (in full):

There are more longing looks between male hobbits in those movies than in the entirety of "Brokeback Mountain."

Respectfully,,
MR

Not having see “Brokeback Mountain” I am in no expert on the subject of longing homoerotic looks. But I have read the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy – several times – and have seen the movie, And for the life of me I cannot fathom what Mr. Rahner is talking about.

I am loathe to assume that Mr. Rahner is an expert on homoerotica, but in view of the scandals involving leading lights in our country from Garry Studds to Mr. Foley, I have to assume that people like Mr. Rahner are exquisitely tuned to homoerotic longing looks. I would suggest that parents of children who know Mr. Rahner should be very careful.

No comments: