Search This Blog

Saturday, April 27, 2013

About the UCon Feminist raped by a cartoon dog

In an open letter to UC President Susan Herbst, self-described feminist student Carolyn Luby wrote that the redesigned team logo will intimidate women and empower rape culture.
Not realizing that she was being over-the-top ridiculous, and claiming that she was threatened with rape, she went to he campus police and was told by a UConn police officer to keep a low profile and wear a hat.

We get an insight into what Luby views as rape by this comment:
Luby, who openly shared her experience as a survivor of rape and sexual assault at Take Back The Night, an event organized to discuss sexual violence, said the abuse went beyond the Internet.

“My ex-boyfriend, who I literally have not heard from in years, who used to abuse me and rape me on campus, texted me and said, ‘I see you made it big on Barstool,’” she said.
She had a boyfriend who used to rape her on campus?  She actually tells us that her "boyfriend used to abuse and rape me."  "Used to" means that it happened more than once; it was a habit. "I used to smoke but don't any more" makes sense, but "I used to get raped by my boyfriend but I gave it up" doesn't.  People do not habitually get raped unless they are imprisoned and the last time I checked UConn was not imprisoning its female students so that their boyfriends could have their way with them.  She made it sound like it was a routine.  He: "Friday night ... rape and abuse?"  She: "OK." 

She seems to have been influenced by Andrea Dworkin whose life as a gay feminist, prostitute and abused spouse may have contributed to her belief " ... that all heterosexual sex in our patriarchal society is coercive and degrading to women, and sexual penetration may by its very nature doom women to inferiority and submission ..." If we use that definition of sex and assume without proof that we live in a patriarchal society, then Luby may actually have been raped regularly by her boyfriend. Of course that means that everyone who participates in heterosexual sex acts are also involved in rape, which then erases meaning of the word as we have understood it.
 
Sort of like the word  "marriage."

No comments: