Ten Media Truths for Conservative/Republican Legislators
- The Media hates you, and wants you to die in a grease fire.
- The Media will only reliably compliment you when you do things to help liberals and Democrats.
- The Media loves it when you attack other conservatives/Republicans.
- You will never, ever, ever be able to reliably buy off the Media by being a ‘good’ (i.e., self-hating) conservative/Republican.
- Every flaw that you have – real or perceived – will be magnified by the Media. You will get no slack at all.
- Every flaw that your opponent has – real or perceived – will be downplayed by the Media.
- If you get an endorsement from a major Media source, it’s probably because your opponent was caught in a horrific scandal. So don’t count on getting that endorsement the next time.
- The Media has no shame, no sense of guilt, and no institutional memory of its own faults, flaws, and prejudices. Do not appeal to its better nature: the Media could care less about your opinion of it.
- Do not whine about any of this: the truth is, this unrelenting hostility from the Media will (if properly handled) simply make you an unstoppable political machine.
- Most importantly: THE MEDIA DID NOT ELECT YOU. The voters did. Keep that in mind when you’re working out your legislative priorities.
I believe this with all my heart. If I were ever to run for office, or advise someone I knew who's running for office I would run against the media. I would ignore my political opponent in the knowledge that the media is his main base of support - apart from Yellow-Dog Democrats. And the media is hated with a white hot hatred by the voters I want to attract. The strategy is to attack the media while tying my opponent to the media. My message: "the Fascist/Communist/Evil/Lying hacks who always want to raise your taxes, waste your money and tell you what to do are on my opponents side; you don't want to vote for the Evil One, do you?" It's a slam dunk!