.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, July 04, 2016


How immigration was handled once upon a time.

My parents immigrated to the United States in 1950. Here is what they needed to have before being given an immigration visa.

1. Affidavit of support. An American citizen (a Sponsor) submitted a document to the government proving that he had the means to support us. This was a three page letter stating his relation to my parents, his income, the source of his income – a small business - the value of his small business, the amount of money he had in the bank, the value of his war bonds, the fact that he was healthy and could continue to work, and his willingness to support my parents and two small children so that they would not become “a public charge.” The statement was signed, notarized and a copy of his tax return was attached along with a real estate tax bill.

2. A statement from a bank. The bank issued a letter testifying that the sponsor actually had a bank account and that he actually had the money that he said he had. The letter was notarized.

3. A letter from an employer. This letter certifying that upon arriving in the United States the company would offer employment to my father, sister and brother. The letter was signed by the comptroller of the company.

Times have changed.  


Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?