The result of decades of total Democrat control.
A team led by a state-appointed emergency manager said Friday that Detroit is defaulting on about $2.5 billion in unsecured debt and is asking creditors to take about 10 cents on the dollar of what the city owes them.
Fun facts about Detroit:
- 20 percent of Detroit is on food stamps.
- It's violent crime rate is 5 times the national average and it’s rated as America’s Most Dangerous City.
- 40% of Detroit residents want to leave the city.
- Home prices have fallen 54 percent in the last 3 years.
- Detroit has the highest poverty rate in the nation.
- Detroit voted for Obama by 98 percent, because when you’re already living in a hellhole, your prime motivation is to drag the rest of the country in with you.
- The 40 percent of Detroiters who want to leave have drawn no conclusions about the causes of all their problems.
- 50 years ago, Detroit's population was more than two million.
- 700,000 are left
- The number of people who left Detroit in the last decade is nearly twice those who left New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
- Detroit’s public schools are among the worst in the nation in spite of spending nearly $16,000 per pupil, 60 percent more than Georgia spends.
- Detroit school graduation rate is 32%.
- Test scores are so bad the superintendent of the city’s schools once said they were no better than if the students had simply guessed at the answers.
- Detroit’s per capita tax burden is several times the average for the Michigan cities.
- Kwame Kilpatrick, Detroit's last mayor was convicted of 24 federal crimes, including racketeering, extortion and bribery and is going to jail for up to 30 years.
- Detroit is so Democrat that it's mayoral elections have two Democrats running against each other.
- As an interesting sidelight, Kwame Kilpatrick was one of the Mayors Against Guns crowd started by Michael Bloomberg.